My Daughter Came Back Wearing Red by Wei Bo
Something goes hideously wrong at Maplewood Mall, and one very determined mother is willing to go to extremes to keep her daughter safe.
I took my daughter to the mall, and for maybe three seconds - just long enough to fish my card out of my purse - she vanished.
In those same three seconds, the whole place sealed itself shut and turned into a slaughterhouse.
People in red started killing everyone they could reach.
And then my little girl was standing in front of me again.
Red dress. Red shoes. A red ribbon in her hair. A long knife in her hand, the point aimed at my belly, and she was smiling up at me.
"Mommy, do you think I'm pretty?"
You think the ghosts were the scary part? Let me show you what people are really made of.
My daughter was gone.
Emily - Emmy - had been right beside me, one small fist hooked into the hem of my shirt the way she always does in crowds. She was humming something under her breath, low, half to herself, and I wasn't listening. I was digging my debit card out of my purse at the register, present the way I'm always present with her lately: close enough to touch, too busy to hear. I let go of her for three seconds. Three seconds. When I looked down, she wasn't there.
I turned in a circle and said her name. Not scared yet - just irritated, already rehearsing the lecture about wandering off. Then the PA system came on so loud it buzzed in the back of my jaw.
"Good afternoon, valued shoppers of Maplewood Mall."
The voice was warm. Cheerful. Customer-service bright.
"Due to circumstances beyond our control, the mall is now fully secured. We ask that every guest and every employee listen carefully to the following announcements, commit them to memory, and follow them exactly.
"One. Our central air conditioning has failed, and the temperature inside will rise. Please don't panic - stay calm. We are now offering free ice cream at the second-floor guest services counter. Please note that we serve only vanilla or chocolate. Never a twist.
"I'll say that again. Never a twist."
"Free ice cream service ends at six pm. If you have not gotten yours by then, please do not attempt to. Do not go to the counter after six.
"Two. Before six, please purchase a full set of black clothing - shirt, pants, socks and shoes - and change into them promptly. Purchase only from a vendor wearing a blue uniform. Do not enter any store staffed by an employee in a red uniform.
"Please note: We do not employ anyone in a red uniform.
"Please note: If a clerk in red should call out to you, do not refuse whatever she recommends.
"Three. There is no smoking anywhere in the mall. We are a smoke-free building.
"Please note: If you simply cannot help yourself, you may use the restroom.
"Please note: You may encounter a member of our cleaning staff in there. Do not make eye contact with them.
"Please note: We do not employ any cleaning staff.
"Four. If you become hungry, please proceed to the food court on the fifth floor, where a wide selection of food awaits you.
"Please note: Once on the fifth floor, you must sample one dish.
"Please note: If you find a dish unacceptable, please do not waste it. After six, you may give it to another guest who has not yet eaten. A guest who has not yet eaten may not refuse.
"A final reminder. If a loved one of yours should go missing, do not trust them if they reappear in red. They are not who they were. They will try to lead you into breaking the rules."
The PA clicked off.
And that was when my daughter reappeared.
"Is this a joke?" somebody laughed. "Some kid hacked the intercom, right? None of that even goes together. Should we call the cops?"
"Free ice cream, though! But I only like twists."
People kept shopping. Half of them were grinning. It was an insane announcement, the kind of thing you assume is a glitch, or a prank, or some manager having a breakdown over the PA. I would have written it off too.
Except Emmy was standing six feet away, watching me.
She was wearing a red dress. Red dance shoes. A red ribbon in her hair.
Two minutes ago, she'd been in a pink track suit, one with a little embroidered strawberry on the chest. Now she was in red from head to toe, and she had no business owning a single thing she had on.
"Mommy, Mommy. Do you think I'm pretty?"
She spun in place, twice, the skirt flaring out around her, her face bright and pleased with herself. And she did look pretty. She looked adorable.
My stomach dropped through the floor.
Emmy hates red. Emmy has hated red since she was two. And she has never in her life just taken something - I've drilled that into her: You don't pick up what isn't yours, you don't take what you didn't pay for. I'll buy my kid the moon if she asks nicely. I will not raise a girl who helps herself.
"Emily." I let it go flat and hard. "Where did the dress come from?"
She knows that tone. When I use her whole name, she knows the needle's in the red.
She stopped spinning. The smile slid off her face. She looked up at me, and her voice came out small and strange.
"Mommy. What did you say?"
My whole body went still.
Because somewhere in the last second, a knife had appeared in her hand.
"Am I pretty?" she said. "Am I pretty or not?"
She turned the point toward me. Her face kept dimming, like a light on a slow switch, and I understood, the way you understand things in dreams, that if I gave the wrong answer, she was going to put that knife into me.
If your loved one reappears in red, they are not who they were.
My daughter would never do this. My daughter is a sweet, careful, rule-following kid who cries when she steps on a bug.
But the announcement was insane, and she was standing right there in a stranger's red dress, holding a knife, and if she wasn't herself, then who was she?
I was still deciding when the screaming started.
Twenty feet away, in the middle of the crowd parting around her, a woman in a red blouse was driving a kitchen knife into the man in front of her. Once. Twice. Three times. She was gone somewhere behind her own eyes, stabbing and stabbing, muttering the whole time -
"Why'd you say red looks bad on me? You don't like me? Then die."
He was begging the crowd for help, reaching for anyone, and not one person moved. People just backed up. Backed up and watched.
I tried to pull Emmy away from it.
She dug her heels in. "Mommy. You don't think I'm pretty?"
What kind of question is that, right now, with a man bleeding out on the tile? I opened my mouth and her knife drifted closer, and I felt the hair lift on my arms, because her face - her sweet little face - had gone exactly slack and exactly wrong in exactly the same way as the woman with the knife.
You don't like me?
I'm not pretty?
If I told her the truth, would she put the knife in me too?
Was she still my daughter?
Was something wearing her? Or had it never been her at all, from the second she came back?
I couldn't tell. And I couldn't risk being wrong.
I couldn't hurt her. I couldn't run from her.
So, I did the only thing a mother can do. I caved. I looked at my baby girl walking that knife toward me and I said, "You're beautiful. You are so, so beautiful. The prettiest girl in the whole mall."
She lit up. The smile came back like a switch flipping the other way - and the knife was just gone, vanished out of her hand between one blink and the next.
"Mommy! Let's go get ice cream!"
She grabbed my hand and pulled me toward the escalator, happy as anything.
The man who'd been stabbed wasn't moving anymore. The woman in red had disappeared into the crowd. There was a spreading pool of red on the tile, creeping outward in a slow tongue.
Emmy didn't see it. Or she saw it and didn't care. She towed me straight through it, and her little shoes came down hard enough to splash it up onto my jeans, my hands, my face -
They say women are the weaker ones.
They've never met a mother.
I would keep my daughter safe. Whatever this was, I would get her out.
Through the open atrium I could see the front doors. Sealed. Somebody was on their phone, swearing - no bars, no signal, nothing. A man swung a folding chair at the glass with everything he had. The glass didn't even spider. Not a crack. A whole crowd was throwing themselves at the doors, and the doors held like a bank vault.
The mall was tipping over into panic. People scattered in every direction, but there was nowhere to scatter to. Screaming started up in pockets all over the building - the knife scene, repeating, again and again on different bodies.
Maplewood Mall had become hell with a food court.
"Mommy, do you want a twist cone? Or a twist cone?"
She'd pulled me right up to the guest services counter, where a smiling employee was handing out free cones.
Only vanilla or chocolate. Never a twist.
"Sweetheart - can Mommy just not have any ice cream?"
Her face started to close again.
"Vanilla," I said quickly, the second I felt the air change. "Vanilla. Let's get vanilla."
She didn't love it. But she didn't push. She just murmured, half to herself, "Okay. We'll have vanilla now. But after six o'clock, we come back and get a twist. Okay? You have to. You have to come back and -" and she kept repeating it, low, like a chant, while I checked my watch.
Four-thirty in the afternoon.
The air was getting thick. With the AC dead, the heat was building, and I was sweating through my shirt, lightheaded, the first prickle of heat sickness behind my eyes. I took the vanilla cone and bit off a big mouthful. Cold flooded all the way down to my fingers, and I almost cried with relief.
Trust the rules. There's nothing else to do.
An older woman shuffled past with a twist cone in her hand.
She bit into it. The whites of her eyes started to pink. Within seconds they'd gone a deep, flooded red - bloody whites around stiff, fixed pupils. It made my skin crawl just to watch it, and she was standing four feet away, living it.
I braced myself.
And nothing came. She just wandered off, licking her twist cone, eyes like two cuts in a steak, perfectly content.
But then she stopped. Turned. Looked back at the ice cream counter and started walking toward the guest services clerk with a slow, gliding stride, that twist cone still in her fist.
Emmy tugged my sleeve and pointed. "Mommy, what's she doing?"
I should have turned her away. Instead, I let us stand and watch. I wanted to understand - and watching felt safer than not knowing.
The red-eyed woman reached the clerk, leaned in, and whispered something. The clerk smiled, nodded - and reached under the counter and came up holding out a fresh twist cone.
Not for the woman.
For a little boy standing at the counter with his father, no older than Emmy.
"On the house, sweetheart," the clerk said, and the boy's hand was already coming up to take it, because that's what you do when a smiling grown-up offers you ice cream.
The red-eyed woman had gone looking for a fresh cone to hand off.
I could have called out. I was close enough. But I froze - because to warn that boy, I'd have to shout across a crowd, draw every eye, point at my own daughter in her red dress. I hesitated.
I chose Emmy.
The boy took the cone. He bit into it. His father laughed and said something about spoiling his dinner, and by the time the words were out, the whites of the boy's eyes had gone pink, then red, and his little face went slack and wrong.
The father was still smiling when his son turned and looked up at him.
I grabbed Emmy and got her turned around before she could see the rest. But I heard it. I heard the father start to laugh again and then stop laughing.
I carry that. I could have made a noise. I could have knocked the cone away like I would three minutes later, for my own child, without a second's thought.
"Mommy, is it good?" Emmy asked.
Emmy had a fresh cone in her fist - a twist, soft-serve swirled together, already on its way to her mouth. I never even saw her get it.
I knocked it out of her hand before I'd finished thinking. Smooth. Calm. I held out my own vanilla cone, the one with my bite already in it.
"A bug landed on that one, baby. Here. Have mine."
She blinked at me, surprised. But not angry. She reached out and took it, happy again.
"Mommy," she said, "you must love me a whole lot. That makes me really happy."
I'd guessed right. This time.
By then the chaos had swallowed the whole building.
People sprinted in every direction, and there was nowhere to go, so all the running did was speed up the dying. I watched a man bolt into a clothing store, looking for somewhere to hide.
What he found was a clerk in a red uniform.
"This suit would look wonderful on you, sir. Would you like to try it on?"
She caught his arm as he made for the fitting rooms. The man had no interest in the jacket she held out for him. His wife was outside on the concourse in a red coat, circling, knife up, eyes locked on him.
"Get off me!" He knocked the jacket out of her hands and slammed himself into a fitting room.
The clerk didn't say a word. She bent down, picked the jacket up off the floor, hung it back on the rack and smoothed it flat. Then she turned toward the door, gave a small bow, and made a polite "after you" gesture to the man's wife.
The woman in red walked in.
She crossed to the fitting room and kicked the door once. The whole panel came apart like wet cardboard.
Then the screaming started and didn't stop for a while.
I watched a bloody hand reach out under the door, fingers clawing at the floor, trying to drag the rest of himself out. He didn't have it in him. A few weak pulls and the hand went still.
The clerk crouched with a wad of tissues and started dabbing at the blood, smiling pleasantly.
But it kept coming. The more she wiped, the more there was, blood spilling out from under the fitting room door in a widening sheet. Somewhere back there, out of sight, the woman in red was tearing him apart and eating him. I could hear it. I could hear the chewing.
That was when I noticed the man watching from the next store over.
Big. Heavyset, gold chain, and an easy grin that didn't match anything happening around him. He wasn't running and he wasn't hiding. He was leaning against a pillar with a girl tucked under his arm and a skinny kid hovering behind them both, and he was watching the fitting-room slaughter the way you'd watch a play you'd already seen.
"See that?" he said to the kid, jerking his chin at the red clerk. "That's how you do it. You don't fight the rules. You use 'em." He caught me staring and winked at me, friendly as anything. "Smart lady like you already gets it. Right?"
I got Emmy moving. I did not like the way he looked at us - a woman alone with a small child - cataloguing us. Filing us away for later.
"Vinnie," the girl murmured, "she's got a kid."
"I can see she's got a kid." He said it, still smiling at me, and there was something underneath the smile that made me walk faster.
A bloody ear flopped out across the tile behind us.
The red clerk frowned - annoyed, like the floor had gotten dirty again - then walked over and picked it up.
And put it in her mouth.
My stomach turned itself inside out. I made it as far as the restroom before it came up, and then I was on my knees with my arms around a toilet, throwing up everything I had.
Emmy followed me in, still licking her ice cream, still serenely not seeing any of it. For a second, I almost envied her.
"Hey - little girl, what are you doing in here? This is the men's room."
I yanked the stall door open. A young guy stood at the sink with a cigarette in his mouth, scowling at my daughter.
I was sure - I was positive - I'd run into the women's room. But there was a row of urinals on the wall, and I had nothing to say to that. I must've gone in the wrong door.
I was working up an apology when I heard it.
The squeak of a cart coming down the hall.
Creak... creak...
It slowed. It stopped, right outside the restroom door.
And a voice called in - loud, singsong, sweet, in a way that was deeply, badly wrong:
"Anybody in here? ...I'm comin' in now, 'kay?"
A perfectly ordinary thing for a cleaning lady to call out before pushing into a men's room.
Except the rules said it: We do not employ any cleaning staff.
I grabbed Emmy and rushed us to the farthest stall - the one that would get cleaned last. It would buy me time to think.
I pushed. It didn't open. Occupied.
I moved us to the next one over, the second-to-last, and shoved us both inside.
Good, still near the end, still safe for a while.
Emmy looked up at me, and for once she wasn't smiling. She'd caught the fear off my face the way she used to as a baby, before she had words for it. I crouched and put my mouth to her ear. "Hiding game, baby," I breathed. "You're so good at hiding. Not a sound."
She nodded, solemn, and pressed her face into my neck, and for one second, she was just my kid, scared, trusting me to make it okay.
The bathroom door rattled. The sweet voice came again from the other side.
"Nobody home? Then I'm comin' in, 'kay?"
The guy at the sink still hadn't caught up to the situation. "There's somebody in here," he snapped. "Don't come in."
The door went quiet.
I exhaled.
Then: "Anybody in here? ...I'm comin' in now, 'kay?"
The smoker got angry. He started toward the door to have it out, raising his voice. "Are you deaf? I said somebody's in here!"
From outside, unchanged, gentle as ever: "Nobody home? Then I'm comin' in, 'kay?"
In any other moment it would have been funny. Right now, it was the worst thing I'd ever heard. Whatever was out there meant to come in, and it was not going to be talked out of it.
The last door - the one I'd wanted, the occupied one - clicked open. A young woman with short hair leaned out, just half her face showing, waving us in, fast, eyes huge. She'd been listening to me the whole time. She'd figured out what I hadn't.
"It cleans in order," she breathed. "Front to back. The last stall's the safest - it comes to this one last."
I dragged Emmy to the last stall just as the smoker reached the exit door and the handle turned.
And he screamed like a stuck animal.
"Oh god - oh god -"
I heard him stumble backward, scrambling, trying to run.
Creak... creak... The cart came in after him.
It got clearer. It got closer.
He never had a chance.
The scream cut off all at once, and the only sound left was the cart, creaking on, patient.
I dropped to the floor and looked under the gap.
A huge gray-white hand had closed around the man's ankle. It swung him up into the air like a doll.
A thud - a big, meaty thud - and I watched his legs flop over the side of the cart, twitch once, and stop.
The short-haired girl and I were the color of paper, frozen, not breathing.
Emmy stood between us, calmly licking her vanilla cone.
Creak... creak...
The cart stopped at the first stall - the one I'd used.
A knock. That voice, oily-sweet: "I'm comin' in, 'kay?"
The stall door banged open.
"Who's the filthy animal that didn't flush?"
I'd thrown up and forgotten to flush.
I almost laughed, despite everything. The filthy animal was me.
A flush. The hiss of a brush. The thing was actually cleaning the toilet.
The cart moved. It stopped at the second stall.
"I'm comin' in, 'kay?"
Slam!
Every time it said the line, it got closer, and every word came through clearer than the last, until I'm comin' in, 'kaaay? didn't sound like a question anymore. It sounded like a countdown.
And it was closing on the last stall faster than the short-haired girl's math had promised us.
The short-haired girl slid down the wall, boneless with fear.
Emmy kept licking her ice cream.
There was a soft thump from the stall beside ours. I looked down and a single bloodshot eye was staring back at me through the gap, wide with terror.
I jerked back before I understood - it was another shopper, hiding, who'd ducked into the next-to-last stall behind us. They were crying. They mouthed at me, silent: Help me. Please.
I am not a heartless person. But what was I supposed to do? Help how?
The noise of the fall had done it. The cart sped up - creak-creak-creak - straight to that stall.
"I'm comin' in, 'kay?"
The voice was right outside their door. And the person inside snapped. They started screaming - not in fear now, but in something uglier:
"There's people in the last stall! Lots of them! Go get them, not me! Go get them!"
My heart nearly stopped. They were trying to point it at us.
Slam! The door went in.
A scream - and then a wet thud, and a wide sheet of blood came spreading under the divider toward our feet. A few seconds of thrashing.
I knew this was it. Live or die, right now.
I hit the latch and ran, dragging Emmy with me. I didn't look back - I didn't want to know what it was. There was only the door, and the thought: if we get outside, we're safe.
The short-haired girl came right behind us, breath sawing in and out.
Emmy and I made it through the restroom door and out into the concourse.
The girl didn't.
Something caught her in the doorway. She screamed and grabbed the frame, clawing at it, half out and half in. She had opened her stall for us - she'd given us those seconds - and I couldn't leave her. I grabbed her arms and pulled with everything I had.
Emmy saw me struggling and came to help.
My daughter is the size of a backpack. She should not be able to pull like that. She is not that strong.
She is now.
The girl stretched out between us and whatever had her, pulled taut as a rope.
And then, in front of my eyes, with the girl's mouth still open in a scream -
she came apart at the middle.
The restroom door swung shut. Slam!
I was soaked in her, head to chest. I stood there hollowed out, staring at the piece of her still in my daughter's hands.
And then I was crying, and I couldn't stop.
"Mommy? Why are you crying?"
Emmy looked up at me, honestly puzzled, a chunk of a stranger in one hand and a blood-smeared cone in the other.
I dropped to my knees and broke, and it wasn't only the horror. It was the other thing. The thing I couldn't say.
Is she still my daughter?
I'm scared of my own little girl.
Emmy crept closer. Gently, and with one small finger, she wiped a tear off my cheek.
And then she did something the thing wearing her could never have done.
She started to sing.
It was off-key and half under her breath, and it took me a second to place it, but when I did, I stopped breathing. It was the song. Our song - the one I used to sing to her when she was two and sick and couldn't sleep, the one about the little boat that always finds its way back to shore. I made it up. Nobody else in the world knows it. Not her father. Not a babysitter. Nobody.
Just me, and just her, in the dark, a hundred small hours I'd half-forgotten I ever gave her.
"Little boat, little boat, don't you cry," she sang, patting my cheek in time, the way I used to pat her back. "Mama's watching from the sky..."
And for one whole breath she wasn't a puzzle or a threat or a thing in a stranger's dress.
She was Emmy. She was my Emmy, my real one, wiping her mother's tears and singing her mother back to calm, because she'd seen me hurting and she wanted to fix it, the way I'd fixed a hundred nights for her.
I grabbed her and held her so hard she squeaked. And I thought: she's in there. Whatever else is riding along, my girl is still in there. It broke something open in me, and it also gave me the only thing I had left to fight with. Hope.
Then she pulled back and looked at the piece of the short-haired girl still in her other fist, and turned it over, curious, the way you'd turn over a shell you found on the beach.
"Mommy," she said, in that same sweet voice, "do you think she thought I was pretty?"
The cold came back down over her like a shade drawn on a window. And the singing was still ringing in my ears, and that was so much worse than if she'd never sung at all.
I shook, and I had no idea what to do with my own hands.
Inside the restroom, creak... creak... the cart started moving again - toward the door, toward us.
The clock ran out on me being weak. I made Emmy drop what she was holding, took her hand, and pulled us into the thickest part of the crowd.
The mall had changed.
The blind panic was gone. Now everyone was flowing toward the central atrium, gathering, pressing in around the stage where they do the holiday tree and the Santa photos. I worked us closer.
On the stage, a row of people in red knelt in a line, hands bound behind them.
"Sir - what's going on?" I asked a balding man in his forties beside me, keeping my voice low.
He was glad to explain. "It's the ones in red doing all the killing. They've been taken over - demons, ghosts, whatever you want to call it. Wearing people. We've gotta stick together and protect ourselves. We wipe them all out."
Wipe them out.
I went cold. "And the people on the stage - what's going to happen to -"
His jaw set. "Demons burn."
I looked down at my daughter. At her red dress.
And I felt a brand-new kind of danger come over me - not from the ghosts this time.
From the people.
I stepped in front of Emmy, put my body between her and the crowd - and that's when I saw him again, up near the front of the mob, gold chain catching the stage lights.
Vince.
He wasn't just watching this time. He was working the crowd, clapping men on the shoulder, pointing at the kneeling figures in red, his voice carrying over the others.
"That's right. No exceptions. Anybody in red, they're already gone. You leave one, it takes your kid in the night." The girl was still tucked under his arm, nodding along, and the skinny kid trailed behind them looking sick.
Vince had found his rule. Not the mall's - his own.
His eyes swept the mob and started, slowly, to come around toward us. Toward Emmy.
I started walking us out, fast and quiet.
The balding man frowned at my back. Then something clicked behind his eyes, and he pointed, and he bellowed.
"Red! We got one in red!"
I scooped Emmy up and ran. We were gone before the crowd could turn, swallowed back into the building.
But I heard Vince's voice rise behind us, delighted, feeding on it. "There! You heard the man! Somebody had a kid in red - a kid, you know what that means? They're hiding one on purpose!"
He'd seen us. He knew. And now he had a crowd.
I grabbed a black coat from a clerk in blue, and dived into a dark corner to hide.
The hunt went on without us. From a dark corner, with Emmy pressed against me, I watched them drag out a young couple. The boyfriend was in a red sport coat. They put a hood over his head, and the second they did, he went limp and docile as a scarecrow, dead weight in their hands. His girlfriend fought like hell.
"Please - please, he's harmless, he wouldn't hurt anybody, I swear -"
Nobody listened. They shoved him toward the stage.
"Honey, that's a demon. Don't let it fool you."
"All of 'em in red are demons. No exceptions." I knew that refrain. I'd heard Vince plant it in them like a seed.
"Burn him."
"Burn him -"
The voices folded together into one tide, and anyone who tried to say something different got swept under and went silent.
A few minutes later, the stage went up in flames, and a thick, greasy, charred-meat smell rolled out across the whole atrium and into everything.
Turns out people don't smell that different from anything else on a grill.
I held my daughter in the dark and I didn't move for a long time.
I want to tell you I was planning. Working the problem, the way I had been all afternoon - reading the rules, staying two steps ahead, being the capable one. I wasn't. For those few minutes I couldn't do anything at all except watch the fire and shake.
Because I kept thinking: that could be us. One shout, one pointed finger, one man like Vince deciding out loud what everybody was already half-thinking, and it's my daughter under that hood, going limp and quiet, and it's me screaming that she's harmless, that she wouldn't hurt anybody, at a wall of faces that have decided they know better.
And the sick, shameful truth curled up underneath even that: some part of me had looked at the couple being dragged to the stage and felt relief. Better them than us. I hated that thought the second I had it, but I couldn't unthink it. The crowd had found what they'd trade to live.
Emmy shifted against my chest. Her small heart was going quick and steady under my hand, and I held onto it like the last warm thing in the world, and I let myself cry, quietly, until the shaking stopped. I gave myself that. I decided I was allowed that much.
The cruelty and the lunacy of it. I made myself look at the ones leading the chant. They had eyes like raw meat - bloodshot, flooded red - same as everyone who'd eaten a twist.
They'd gone cold and sharp and good at turning a crowd.
But the part that truly chilled me was the followers. They couldn't see the red in their leaders' eyes. They couldn't see the horror right in front of them. Some of them were cheering.
Like burning a person in red was a mission they were finally completing. Like it made them good.
"Mommy," Emmy whispered. "Are you gonna leave me?"
It was the first time since she'd come back in red that she'd sounded afraid. And it landed right on top of the song, on top of little boat, little boat - the second time in an hour my real daughter had surfaced from beneath whatever was wearing her. I was starting to understand that she came and went. That my Emmy was in there, drowning and surfacing, drowning and surfacing, and I would never know from one minute to the next which one I was holding.
I pulled the black coat tight around her - black, the way the rules said; the dark jacket I'd zipped over her red dress - and I held her against me.
"Never," I said. "Not ever."
The PA crackled back to life.
But it was a different voice now. Flatter. Colder.
"Attention, shoppers. It's dinnertime. Please make your way to the food court on the fifth floor. We've prepared a fresh selection - barbecue ribs, pulled pork, brisket, big bowls of meat chili - everything you could want.
"Please note: between five and six, every area outside the fifth floor will be sanitized, top to bottom. Please get to the fifth floor promptly.
"Please note: do not attempt to avoid dinner. The sanitizing is exactly what it sounds like. We will not be missing any corners."
The meat smell was everywhere. My stomach - long since emptied out - clenched at the words. Ribs. Pulled pork. Brisket.
What were they made of? How fresh, exactly?
I didn't want to know.
And the announcement was wrong in a way the first one hadn't been. The first voice had felt like it was trying, in its sideways way, to keep us alive - handing us rules, warning us off the dangerous stuff.
This one was an order. It wasn't warning us toward the fifth floor. It was herding us there, and it had told us plainly what happened to anyone who didn't go. Sanitized. Wiped out, like roaches.
Whatever that meant, I wanted no part of it. The two voices weren't the same. The two voices didn't want the same things.
I would not be trusting this one.
I folded Emmy back into the crowd and let it carry us up to the fifth floor; I moved us through it fast, because I already knew the shape of the trap, and I didn't need to watch it spring on a dozen more people to believe it.
Right at the top of the escalator, an enormous vat simmered - red and white and yellow churned together, thick and glistening - and the fuel stacked under it wasn't wood. It was a crosshatch of long, pale lengths, interlaced. Fingers. Hands. Arms, woven together under the pot. The crowd closed in on it, delighted, helping themselves, and as they swallowed, the whites of their eyes bloomed red. A stall clerk with flooded eyes called out cheerfully that they had chitlins, organ stew. Every counter, every smiling face, every steaming tray was the same single machine with the same single purpose.
So, I didn't play. I got us to a vending machine, fed six dollars in quarters into it, and pulled out two granola bars and two bottles of water. Real food. Cold, dumb, sealed-in-plastic food that nobody's hands had touched.
Emmy was deeply unimpressed, gnawing her granola bar with a thundercloud face.
I stroked her hair. "We'll have something small now. The second we get home, I'll order you the biggest pizza they make. The huge one. Deal?"
That bought her back.
I noticed others doing the same - a few people standing at the edges of the food court, quietly eating granola bars and crackers from the machines. One of them caught my eye, and held it a second. We understood each other.
So, not everybody was gone. Scattered through the crowd were people who'd heard the first announcement and followed it. People still thinking with their own heads.
I checked my watch. Almost six.
I worked us toward the exit, and two red-eyed employees stepped in front of us.
"You folks didn't find anything you liked?"
"We already ate," I said, keeping my voice level. "Can we go?"
"You should really eat something. The food court closes at six."
They weren't budging, and I wasn't about to try forcing past them. So, I went back to that stall and ordered two servings of the organ stew to go. When I carried them past the employees this time, they let us through.
The first announcement had been deadly serious, and exactly right.
You must sample one dish. If you find it unacceptable, do not waste it. After six PM, you may give it to a guest who has not yet eaten. A guest who has not yet eaten may not refuse.
A guest who hadn't eaten - that meant one of us. One of the ones who hadn't taken the bait.
Which meant the rule was telling us to feed it to each other.
I didn't take us far. I ducked us into the emergency stairwell near the exit and pulled the door shut.
A couple of minutes later, three people came in with takeout containers of their own. I didn't want to be near them. I drew Emmy down half a flight, into the shadows under the landing.
And then I heard him, and my blood went to ice, because I already knew the voice.
"Will you shut your mouth, you little -" The big voice rose. "Keep it up and I'll cram all of it down your throat myself."
Vince.
Of course it was Vince. He'd worked the burning crowd and then, when the killing was done, he'd peeled off with his girl and her little brother with their dinner, and here he was, in my stairwell, with two full containers and two people who hadn't eaten yet.
I looked up through the gap in the stairs. On the landing above, Vince had the skinny kid by the collar, fist cocked.
A pale hand settled on his arm, and the girl's voice came, all silk and syrup: "Vinnie, don't. Babe. He's harmless. Why are you wasting your energy on him?"
Vince grinned and let the kid go, then slid the same arm around the girl's waist and kissed the side of her face. "I'm just messing with him. He's your brother, I'd never hurt him. Tell you what. In a few minutes we'll go find some people who haven't eaten yet, and we'll get this dinner into 'em. Don't you worry. I'll take care of you and your brother both."
Find some people who haven't eaten yet. He'd been hunting us since the atrium. He'd told a whole crowd I was hiding a kid in red. And now here we were, half a flight below him, exactly what he was looking for.
I sank down with Emmy in the dark under the landing. Hiding game again, baby, I mouthed. She put her finger to her lips before I could - she remembered - and something in me cracked and held at the same time. I held my daughter and didn't move a muscle.
If they found us, they were going to force the contents of those three takeout containers down both our throats.
The minute hand hit twelve on my watch. Six o'clock exactly.
The PA came on again.
"Honored guests, the final event of the evening is about to begin, and you're all warmly invited to take part.
"The Maplewood Mall Last One Standing - Spot the Difference!
"Find the guests who are different from you.
"Please note: these individuals are skilled at hiding, blending in, and lying. Please listen closely for guidance.
"Game time is six to seven. The winners may leave the mall with their prizes.
"On your mark... and begin."
"It started!" the boy yelped and bolted for the stairs.
My heart seized - if he came down, he'd see us in one glance.
"Where do you think you're going, dummy?" Vince grabbed him and threw him into the corner. "Running around screaming, that's how you get caught. We think. We make a plan."
"You're so smart, babe. We'd be dead without you. Tell us what to do." The girl again, oozing flattery, going soft and small and obedient. Even I felt the pull of that voice, and it wasn't even aimed at me.
Vince puffed up. "Game's called Spot the Difference, right? So, the 'difference' is us - the ones who still got our heads on straight. We just don't let the red-eyes out there find us. Seven o'clock hits, we walk out the front doors and go home."
"But - how do we not get found?"
"Hide-and-seek, genius. You never played hide-and-seek? We tuck ourselves away somewhere good and we -"
The PA cut him off.
"Third floor - women's fitting rooms.
"Fourth floor - kids' department, behind the counter.
"Fifth floor - the emergency stairwell.
"..."
"You gotta be kidding me - it calls out the spots? That's cheating!"
Vince was rattled now. They were standing in the fifth-floor stairwell.
So was I.
In a second, they'd move - up or down - and I needed to be gone before they did. I started to ease Emmy down the next flight.
And from below us came creak... creak...
I went rigid. The cart. The cleaning lady from the restroom.
Of all the moments.
Given the choice between that thing and the people upstairs, I'll take the people. We turned and ran up - straight into the three of them.
They hadn't expected anyone below. For a second nobody moved. Then Vince looked at me - a woman alone with a little kid - and I watched the recognition land, and then the grin.
"Well, look who it is," he said softly. "The smart lady. The one hiding the kid in red." He said it to the girl without looking away from me. "Told you. Told you they were tucked away somewhere."
Ghosts are terrible. But the human heart, sometimes, runs them close.
He was already doing the math on how to get his dinner into me and my daughter. He'd been doing that math since the fitting room, hours ago. I'd watched it start. Now I was going to find out the answer.
I got there first. "There's something down there. We have to move, now."
The creak... creak... reached their ears too.
Vince planted himself in front of us, leaned over the rail. "Who's down there?"
A woman's voice floated up, singsong and sweet. "Never seen the cleaning lady before?
What are you hollering about?"
That voice. It went through me like ice water. I could still feel the blood that had come pouring under the stall divider. I could still see the short-haired girl come apart at the waist.
"It's real," I said, letting every bit of fear I had into it.
I looked straight at the skinny kid in the corner, and I twisted the knife. "It's a thing that rips people in half in one second. I saw it." God help me. I'd learned from Vince, hadn't I? You find the frightened one and you point him at the danger, and you let panic do your work for you.
It worked. He screamed, shoved past Vince, and tore up the stairs like the building was on fire.
I grabbed Emmy and went up after him - and like falling dominoes, the kid's sister ran too, right behind us.
Vince couldn't stop any of it. He nearly came apart with rage. "It's an old lady! What are you all running from?"
"Vinnie, I'm scared! Go see who it is - we'll wait for you up top!" the girl called over her shoulder, and he stayed put, while the three of us climbed.
We spilled out of the stairwell onto the main floor, and I finally got a breath.
Below us, Vince was still grumbling. "Bunch of cowards. It's a granny. It's not even red-eyed -"
His scream came a few seconds later.
I looked back down through the gap. A gray-white hand was swinging a severed arm around, painting red across the walls. From the thickness of it, that arm was Vince's.
I pulled Emmy on, and we didn't stop until we were back inside the mall proper, where I could finally let my legs slow down. The kid and his sister came with us, and the four of us slumped against the wall, gasping.
The boy was still wild-eyed. "She won't - she won't follow us out, will she?"
I shook my head. "I don't think so. The cleaning lady only comes into bathrooms and stairwells."
The words were barely out of my mouth when the stairwell door banged open.
We jumped back. Vince came rolling out, clutching his shoulder. One arm gone at the joint. Blood pumping out of him in waves. His eyes were blown wide and empty, and he was babbling.
"Monster. There's a monster. There's a monster in there -"
I was honestly amazed he'd gotten out alive. All afternoon he'd been the thing I was most afraid of, more than the cones or the clerks or the cart - the man who'd hunt us for sport and hand our bodies to his girlfriend as a favor. And here he was, a leaking, sobbing ruin, less than the granny he'd sneered at.
Then I saw Emmy push the door open a crack and stick her head in to look.
I lunged for her - and she turned, smiling, delighted. "Mommy, it's a party in there! There's a bunch of red-eyes and monsters all fighting."
I leaned in.
She was right. Down the stairwell, shapes were thrashing in the dark, a mess of noise and motion and blood going everywhere. The PA had called this floor out as a hunting ground. The red-eyes had come up the stairs to find us - and walked straight into the cleaning lady.
"Sis, let's go," the boy begged, pulling at the pretty girl's hand.
"Hang on," she said.
She didn't run. Instead, she crouched, took her container of food and her brother's, and set them both down in front of Vince where he lay bleeding on the floor.
"After six," she said sweetly, "you can give your food to someone who hasn't eaten. And they're not allowed to refuse."
Vince was dying, white as paper from the blood loss. He stared up at the two of them, furious, helpless. The girl who'd hung on his arm all afternoon, who'd called him smart, who'd told him they'd be dead without him. She'd been reading the rules too. She'd just been reading him the whole time as well.
"You can't... you can't do this to me..."
I walked over.
And I set my container and Emmy's down in front of him too.
It was exactly what it looked like. Kicking a man when he was down.
I could tell you he'd have done worse to us. That he was minutes from cramming his dinner down my daughter's throat. All of that is true. But I want to be honest about the other part, the part this place kept teaching me all afternoon and wouldn't let me stop learning: it felt good.
Setting that container down in front of him felt good. And that is the thing I'll be carrying long after the blood washes off.
The girl and her brother went left. Emmy and I went right.
Behind us, I heard chewing.
I looked back once. Vince was face down on the floor, eating like something starving - like the thing in the fitting room, like the woman at the vat. The containers were torn open, sauce and meat smeared everywhere, and he had his cheek pressed to the tile, gulping it down in great heaving mouthfuls.
His eyes were already going red.
"Sixth floor - Kids' World play area -"
The PA kept calling. With the cleaning lady loose in the stairwell, the red-eyes had to take the elevators up.
I stood there with Emmy, out of ideas. Every other floor had been called. Soon every red-eye in the building would be on six. There were a lot of them, and only two of us. Wherever we hid, we'd be found.
I didn't know what to do.
"Mommy, let's ride the pirate ship!"
Emmy was pulling at me, pointing at the kids' rides across the way - a little carousel, a few coin-op cars, and the big swinging pirate-ship ride at the center.
"Emmy. Mommy will take you another time, okay?"
Wrong moment. We could not be playing right now.
I started to pull her along, and she planted her feet and pulled back, hard.
"But you always say that!"
Her voice cracked - hurt, let down, near tears. The look she gave me went straight through my chest.
And she was right. I have said it a thousand times.
I'm busy with work. I'm busy with a call. I have a thing tonight. Next weekend, baby. Soon, baby. The grown-up world is full of reasons, full of things you have to do, and it always feels like if you drop even one of them the whole thing comes down on your head.
But does it, really?
I let myself believe that all of it - the late nights, the missed weekends, the next time, baby - was for her. That I worked that hard, so she'd never want for anything. That every hour I gave away was love.
It was an excuse. All of it.
And here - God, here, of all places - was the third time today my little girl had surfaced whole through the red. First the song. Then are you gonna leave me. And now this. Not a puzzle. Not a threat. Just my kid, wanting her mom to ride a ride with her, the same way she'd wanted it a hundred times when I said soon, baby, and meant never.
The elevators were running. The floor numbers were climbing fast.
They were coming. We were out of room.
"Mommy, please. Let's go on the pirate ship."
She came in close and took my hand and looked up at me, and the light of wanting in her eyes was so bright it burned.
It really had been such a long time. So long since I'd just taken my daughter somewhere to play.
The elevator doors opened. Red-eyes spilled out, heads swiveling, looking for us.
I grabbed her hand, and I ran - toward the pirate ship.
The control booth was empty. I set the timer, started the cycle, and pulled Emmy on board with me.
Behind us, the red-eyes were roaring - like Vince had been, more animal than person now, every last bit of the human gone out of them.
We climbed into the ship just as the machine kicked on. I put Emmy in the very front seat, the highest one, the one that swings out the farthest - the most thrilling seat on the ride. The one she always begged for.
The red-eyes swarmed in and surrounded the ship. They tried to climb on, but the ride was already moving, swinging up and out, and the force of it threw them back every time they got close.
They stood below us, red eyes locked on, screaming loud enough to split my skull.
I put my hands over Emmy's ears and smiled down at her.
She was smiling back, thrilled, her hair flying, the air rushing up at us as the ship dropped and rose and dropped.
Somewhere far off I heard screaming - the boy and his sister, the silk voice gone ragged. They hadn't made it after all.
The screams set the red-eyes off again. Whatever was holding them back broke, and they came up onto the ride all at once.
Around us, the pirate ship turned into a slaughter - the great swinging arc of it sweeping back and forth, and where it passed, blood and pieces flew.
Inside the ship, my daughter and I sat curled together. Warm. Happy.
Outside, the world came apart, limbs and ruin, like the floor of hell.
We rode up, and we rode down, and I held her, and she laughed. And I laughed too - I actually did, some cracked, broken sound halfway to sobbing - because I was finally, finally doing the one thing she'd wanted, and it had taken the end of the world to make me stop and do it.
I don't know how long it was before I heard a voice.
"Ma'am? Hey - ma'am, are you okay?"
I opened my eyes. A man in a Maplewood Mall employee polo was leaning over me, frowning, concerned.
The ride had stopped.
I went rigid. I looked down.
Emmy was looking up at me, worried. "Mommy? What's wrong? Are you sick?"
She was in her pink track suit. The strawberry on the chest. The red dress was gone, like it had never existed.
I looked around, heart slamming.
No blood. No limbs. No bodies. The food court hummed. People streamed past in both directions, ordinary, bored, alive. Somewhere a toddler was shriek-laughing about something. Strollers. Shopping bags. A guy on his phone.
I felt the floor tilt under me.
Had any of it happened at all? Had I - what, passed out? Dreamed the whole thing standing in line?
I sat there in the pirate ship with my hands still shaking and I tried to make it fit. A dream. A fainting spell in the heat. That's all it was. People faint in malls. The AC was probably fine, and I'd stood too long in a line and my brain had spun me a horror out of nothing.
But my jeans were clean. That was the thing I couldn't get past. In the dream, the short-haired girl had come apart across my chest and Emmy had splashed a dead man's blood up my legs, and I looked down and there was nothing, not a spot, and instead of relief it just opened a hole in me. Because a dream that vivid shouldn't leave you feeling like you'd lost something.
And I had. I couldn't name it and I couldn't shake it. Somewhere in all that horror I'd finally sat down and held my daughter and done the one thing she was always asking for, and now the ride had stopped and the world had put itself back together and handed her to me clean and safe and pink - and some animal part of me was grieving, like a door had just shut on the only afternoon I'd ever really given her.
"Mommy, does something hurt?" Emmy hugged my arm, all sweetness, her little face turned up to mine.
"Mommy's fine," I said. My voice didn't sound like mine. "Let's go home, okay?"
I lifted her down off the pirate ship, and I held onto her a beat longer than I needed to, both feet on the ground, both of us whole. I didn't slow down after that. Straight to the elevator. Down to the parking garage under the mall.
I got us in the car. Emmy climbed into her booster in the back. I sat there for a second, hands on the wheel, just breathing, and I reached up and adjusted the rearview mirror so I could see her.
She sat quietly in the back seat, looking out the window, humming something under her breath.
I almost didn't catch it. And then I did.
Little boat, little boat, don't you cry.
The song. Our song. The one I made up in the dark when she was two, the one nobody else in the world knows - the one she'd sung to me on a bloody bathroom floor in a dream I never had.
She'd been humming it in the checkout line, too. Before the three seconds. Before any of it. I just hadn't been listening.
I went very still.
And in the white of her eye, in the mirror, a thread of red slowly surfaced - and slowly sank back down.
She kept humming, watching the concrete pillars slide past, my sweet girl, my real one, drowning and surfacing, drowning and surfacing, and I would never again know from one minute to the next which one I was holding.
"Hey, Emmy," I said, when I could trust my voice. "How about we get you that pizza? The big one. The biggest one they've got. And you know what? This weekend - no work, no phone, I mean it - you pick anywhere you want to go, and we'll go. Just us. Okay?"
I heard her gasp with delight, that pure little-kid sound, and clap her hands.
I started the car.
We were going home.
Whatever I was taking home with me, I was taking her too. And I was done saying soon, baby.
from FICTION on the WEB short stories https://ift.tt/hfYVnE5
via IFTTT
![]() |
| Image generated with OpenAI |
In those same three seconds, the whole place sealed itself shut and turned into a slaughterhouse.
People in red started killing everyone they could reach.
And then my little girl was standing in front of me again.
Red dress. Red shoes. A red ribbon in her hair. A long knife in her hand, the point aimed at my belly, and she was smiling up at me.
"Mommy, do you think I'm pretty?"
You think the ghosts were the scary part? Let me show you what people are really made of.
My daughter was gone.
Emily - Emmy - had been right beside me, one small fist hooked into the hem of my shirt the way she always does in crowds. She was humming something under her breath, low, half to herself, and I wasn't listening. I was digging my debit card out of my purse at the register, present the way I'm always present with her lately: close enough to touch, too busy to hear. I let go of her for three seconds. Three seconds. When I looked down, she wasn't there.
I turned in a circle and said her name. Not scared yet - just irritated, already rehearsing the lecture about wandering off. Then the PA system came on so loud it buzzed in the back of my jaw.
"Good afternoon, valued shoppers of Maplewood Mall."
The voice was warm. Cheerful. Customer-service bright.
"Due to circumstances beyond our control, the mall is now fully secured. We ask that every guest and every employee listen carefully to the following announcements, commit them to memory, and follow them exactly.
"One. Our central air conditioning has failed, and the temperature inside will rise. Please don't panic - stay calm. We are now offering free ice cream at the second-floor guest services counter. Please note that we serve only vanilla or chocolate. Never a twist.
"I'll say that again. Never a twist."
"Free ice cream service ends at six pm. If you have not gotten yours by then, please do not attempt to. Do not go to the counter after six.
"Two. Before six, please purchase a full set of black clothing - shirt, pants, socks and shoes - and change into them promptly. Purchase only from a vendor wearing a blue uniform. Do not enter any store staffed by an employee in a red uniform.
"Please note: We do not employ anyone in a red uniform.
"Please note: If a clerk in red should call out to you, do not refuse whatever she recommends.
"Three. There is no smoking anywhere in the mall. We are a smoke-free building.
"Please note: If you simply cannot help yourself, you may use the restroom.
"Please note: You may encounter a member of our cleaning staff in there. Do not make eye contact with them.
"Please note: We do not employ any cleaning staff.
"Four. If you become hungry, please proceed to the food court on the fifth floor, where a wide selection of food awaits you.
"Please note: Once on the fifth floor, you must sample one dish.
"Please note: If you find a dish unacceptable, please do not waste it. After six, you may give it to another guest who has not yet eaten. A guest who has not yet eaten may not refuse.
"A final reminder. If a loved one of yours should go missing, do not trust them if they reappear in red. They are not who they were. They will try to lead you into breaking the rules."
The PA clicked off.
And that was when my daughter reappeared.
"Is this a joke?" somebody laughed. "Some kid hacked the intercom, right? None of that even goes together. Should we call the cops?"
"Free ice cream, though! But I only like twists."
People kept shopping. Half of them were grinning. It was an insane announcement, the kind of thing you assume is a glitch, or a prank, or some manager having a breakdown over the PA. I would have written it off too.
Except Emmy was standing six feet away, watching me.
She was wearing a red dress. Red dance shoes. A red ribbon in her hair.
Two minutes ago, she'd been in a pink track suit, one with a little embroidered strawberry on the chest. Now she was in red from head to toe, and she had no business owning a single thing she had on.
"Mommy, Mommy. Do you think I'm pretty?"
She spun in place, twice, the skirt flaring out around her, her face bright and pleased with herself. And she did look pretty. She looked adorable.
My stomach dropped through the floor.
Emmy hates red. Emmy has hated red since she was two. And she has never in her life just taken something - I've drilled that into her: You don't pick up what isn't yours, you don't take what you didn't pay for. I'll buy my kid the moon if she asks nicely. I will not raise a girl who helps herself.
"Emily." I let it go flat and hard. "Where did the dress come from?"
She knows that tone. When I use her whole name, she knows the needle's in the red.
She stopped spinning. The smile slid off her face. She looked up at me, and her voice came out small and strange.
"Mommy. What did you say?"
My whole body went still.
Because somewhere in the last second, a knife had appeared in her hand.
"Am I pretty?" she said. "Am I pretty or not?"
She turned the point toward me. Her face kept dimming, like a light on a slow switch, and I understood, the way you understand things in dreams, that if I gave the wrong answer, she was going to put that knife into me.
If your loved one reappears in red, they are not who they were.
My daughter would never do this. My daughter is a sweet, careful, rule-following kid who cries when she steps on a bug.
But the announcement was insane, and she was standing right there in a stranger's red dress, holding a knife, and if she wasn't herself, then who was she?
I was still deciding when the screaming started.
Twenty feet away, in the middle of the crowd parting around her, a woman in a red blouse was driving a kitchen knife into the man in front of her. Once. Twice. Three times. She was gone somewhere behind her own eyes, stabbing and stabbing, muttering the whole time -
"Why'd you say red looks bad on me? You don't like me? Then die."
He was begging the crowd for help, reaching for anyone, and not one person moved. People just backed up. Backed up and watched.
I tried to pull Emmy away from it.
She dug her heels in. "Mommy. You don't think I'm pretty?"
What kind of question is that, right now, with a man bleeding out on the tile? I opened my mouth and her knife drifted closer, and I felt the hair lift on my arms, because her face - her sweet little face - had gone exactly slack and exactly wrong in exactly the same way as the woman with the knife.
You don't like me?
I'm not pretty?
If I told her the truth, would she put the knife in me too?
Was she still my daughter?
Was something wearing her? Or had it never been her at all, from the second she came back?
I couldn't tell. And I couldn't risk being wrong.
I couldn't hurt her. I couldn't run from her.
So, I did the only thing a mother can do. I caved. I looked at my baby girl walking that knife toward me and I said, "You're beautiful. You are so, so beautiful. The prettiest girl in the whole mall."
She lit up. The smile came back like a switch flipping the other way - and the knife was just gone, vanished out of her hand between one blink and the next.
"Mommy! Let's go get ice cream!"
She grabbed my hand and pulled me toward the escalator, happy as anything.
The man who'd been stabbed wasn't moving anymore. The woman in red had disappeared into the crowd. There was a spreading pool of red on the tile, creeping outward in a slow tongue.
Emmy didn't see it. Or she saw it and didn't care. She towed me straight through it, and her little shoes came down hard enough to splash it up onto my jeans, my hands, my face -
They say women are the weaker ones.
They've never met a mother.
I would keep my daughter safe. Whatever this was, I would get her out.
Through the open atrium I could see the front doors. Sealed. Somebody was on their phone, swearing - no bars, no signal, nothing. A man swung a folding chair at the glass with everything he had. The glass didn't even spider. Not a crack. A whole crowd was throwing themselves at the doors, and the doors held like a bank vault.
The mall was tipping over into panic. People scattered in every direction, but there was nowhere to scatter to. Screaming started up in pockets all over the building - the knife scene, repeating, again and again on different bodies.
Maplewood Mall had become hell with a food court.
"Mommy, do you want a twist cone? Or a twist cone?"
She'd pulled me right up to the guest services counter, where a smiling employee was handing out free cones.
Only vanilla or chocolate. Never a twist.
"Sweetheart - can Mommy just not have any ice cream?"
Her face started to close again.
"Vanilla," I said quickly, the second I felt the air change. "Vanilla. Let's get vanilla."
She didn't love it. But she didn't push. She just murmured, half to herself, "Okay. We'll have vanilla now. But after six o'clock, we come back and get a twist. Okay? You have to. You have to come back and -" and she kept repeating it, low, like a chant, while I checked my watch.
Four-thirty in the afternoon.
The air was getting thick. With the AC dead, the heat was building, and I was sweating through my shirt, lightheaded, the first prickle of heat sickness behind my eyes. I took the vanilla cone and bit off a big mouthful. Cold flooded all the way down to my fingers, and I almost cried with relief.
Trust the rules. There's nothing else to do.
An older woman shuffled past with a twist cone in her hand.
She bit into it. The whites of her eyes started to pink. Within seconds they'd gone a deep, flooded red - bloody whites around stiff, fixed pupils. It made my skin crawl just to watch it, and she was standing four feet away, living it.
I braced myself.
And nothing came. She just wandered off, licking her twist cone, eyes like two cuts in a steak, perfectly content.
But then she stopped. Turned. Looked back at the ice cream counter and started walking toward the guest services clerk with a slow, gliding stride, that twist cone still in her fist.
Emmy tugged my sleeve and pointed. "Mommy, what's she doing?"
I should have turned her away. Instead, I let us stand and watch. I wanted to understand - and watching felt safer than not knowing.
The red-eyed woman reached the clerk, leaned in, and whispered something. The clerk smiled, nodded - and reached under the counter and came up holding out a fresh twist cone.
Not for the woman.
For a little boy standing at the counter with his father, no older than Emmy.
"On the house, sweetheart," the clerk said, and the boy's hand was already coming up to take it, because that's what you do when a smiling grown-up offers you ice cream.
The red-eyed woman had gone looking for a fresh cone to hand off.
I could have called out. I was close enough. But I froze - because to warn that boy, I'd have to shout across a crowd, draw every eye, point at my own daughter in her red dress. I hesitated.
I chose Emmy.
The boy took the cone. He bit into it. His father laughed and said something about spoiling his dinner, and by the time the words were out, the whites of the boy's eyes had gone pink, then red, and his little face went slack and wrong.
The father was still smiling when his son turned and looked up at him.
I grabbed Emmy and got her turned around before she could see the rest. But I heard it. I heard the father start to laugh again and then stop laughing.
I carry that. I could have made a noise. I could have knocked the cone away like I would three minutes later, for my own child, without a second's thought.
"Mommy, is it good?" Emmy asked.
Emmy had a fresh cone in her fist - a twist, soft-serve swirled together, already on its way to her mouth. I never even saw her get it.
I knocked it out of her hand before I'd finished thinking. Smooth. Calm. I held out my own vanilla cone, the one with my bite already in it.
"A bug landed on that one, baby. Here. Have mine."
She blinked at me, surprised. But not angry. She reached out and took it, happy again.
"Mommy," she said, "you must love me a whole lot. That makes me really happy."
I'd guessed right. This time.
By then the chaos had swallowed the whole building.
People sprinted in every direction, and there was nowhere to go, so all the running did was speed up the dying. I watched a man bolt into a clothing store, looking for somewhere to hide.
What he found was a clerk in a red uniform.
"This suit would look wonderful on you, sir. Would you like to try it on?"
She caught his arm as he made for the fitting rooms. The man had no interest in the jacket she held out for him. His wife was outside on the concourse in a red coat, circling, knife up, eyes locked on him.
"Get off me!" He knocked the jacket out of her hands and slammed himself into a fitting room.
The clerk didn't say a word. She bent down, picked the jacket up off the floor, hung it back on the rack and smoothed it flat. Then she turned toward the door, gave a small bow, and made a polite "after you" gesture to the man's wife.
The woman in red walked in.
She crossed to the fitting room and kicked the door once. The whole panel came apart like wet cardboard.
Then the screaming started and didn't stop for a while.
I watched a bloody hand reach out under the door, fingers clawing at the floor, trying to drag the rest of himself out. He didn't have it in him. A few weak pulls and the hand went still.
The clerk crouched with a wad of tissues and started dabbing at the blood, smiling pleasantly.
But it kept coming. The more she wiped, the more there was, blood spilling out from under the fitting room door in a widening sheet. Somewhere back there, out of sight, the woman in red was tearing him apart and eating him. I could hear it. I could hear the chewing.
That was when I noticed the man watching from the next store over.
Big. Heavyset, gold chain, and an easy grin that didn't match anything happening around him. He wasn't running and he wasn't hiding. He was leaning against a pillar with a girl tucked under his arm and a skinny kid hovering behind them both, and he was watching the fitting-room slaughter the way you'd watch a play you'd already seen.
"See that?" he said to the kid, jerking his chin at the red clerk. "That's how you do it. You don't fight the rules. You use 'em." He caught me staring and winked at me, friendly as anything. "Smart lady like you already gets it. Right?"
I got Emmy moving. I did not like the way he looked at us - a woman alone with a small child - cataloguing us. Filing us away for later.
"Vinnie," the girl murmured, "she's got a kid."
"I can see she's got a kid." He said it, still smiling at me, and there was something underneath the smile that made me walk faster.
A bloody ear flopped out across the tile behind us.
The red clerk frowned - annoyed, like the floor had gotten dirty again - then walked over and picked it up.
And put it in her mouth.
My stomach turned itself inside out. I made it as far as the restroom before it came up, and then I was on my knees with my arms around a toilet, throwing up everything I had.
Emmy followed me in, still licking her ice cream, still serenely not seeing any of it. For a second, I almost envied her.
"Hey - little girl, what are you doing in here? This is the men's room."
I yanked the stall door open. A young guy stood at the sink with a cigarette in his mouth, scowling at my daughter.
I was sure - I was positive - I'd run into the women's room. But there was a row of urinals on the wall, and I had nothing to say to that. I must've gone in the wrong door.
I was working up an apology when I heard it.
The squeak of a cart coming down the hall.
Creak... creak...
It slowed. It stopped, right outside the restroom door.
And a voice called in - loud, singsong, sweet, in a way that was deeply, badly wrong:
"Anybody in here? ...I'm comin' in now, 'kay?"
A perfectly ordinary thing for a cleaning lady to call out before pushing into a men's room.
Except the rules said it: We do not employ any cleaning staff.
I grabbed Emmy and rushed us to the farthest stall - the one that would get cleaned last. It would buy me time to think.
I pushed. It didn't open. Occupied.
I moved us to the next one over, the second-to-last, and shoved us both inside.
Good, still near the end, still safe for a while.
Emmy looked up at me, and for once she wasn't smiling. She'd caught the fear off my face the way she used to as a baby, before she had words for it. I crouched and put my mouth to her ear. "Hiding game, baby," I breathed. "You're so good at hiding. Not a sound."
She nodded, solemn, and pressed her face into my neck, and for one second, she was just my kid, scared, trusting me to make it okay.
The bathroom door rattled. The sweet voice came again from the other side.
"Nobody home? Then I'm comin' in, 'kay?"
The guy at the sink still hadn't caught up to the situation. "There's somebody in here," he snapped. "Don't come in."
The door went quiet.
I exhaled.
Then: "Anybody in here? ...I'm comin' in now, 'kay?"
The smoker got angry. He started toward the door to have it out, raising his voice. "Are you deaf? I said somebody's in here!"
From outside, unchanged, gentle as ever: "Nobody home? Then I'm comin' in, 'kay?"
In any other moment it would have been funny. Right now, it was the worst thing I'd ever heard. Whatever was out there meant to come in, and it was not going to be talked out of it.
The last door - the one I'd wanted, the occupied one - clicked open. A young woman with short hair leaned out, just half her face showing, waving us in, fast, eyes huge. She'd been listening to me the whole time. She'd figured out what I hadn't.
"It cleans in order," she breathed. "Front to back. The last stall's the safest - it comes to this one last."
I dragged Emmy to the last stall just as the smoker reached the exit door and the handle turned.
And he screamed like a stuck animal.
"Oh god - oh god -"
I heard him stumble backward, scrambling, trying to run.
Creak... creak... The cart came in after him.
It got clearer. It got closer.
He never had a chance.
The scream cut off all at once, and the only sound left was the cart, creaking on, patient.
I dropped to the floor and looked under the gap.
A huge gray-white hand had closed around the man's ankle. It swung him up into the air like a doll.
A thud - a big, meaty thud - and I watched his legs flop over the side of the cart, twitch once, and stop.
The short-haired girl and I were the color of paper, frozen, not breathing.
Emmy stood between us, calmly licking her vanilla cone.
Creak... creak...
The cart stopped at the first stall - the one I'd used.
A knock. That voice, oily-sweet: "I'm comin' in, 'kay?"
The stall door banged open.
"Who's the filthy animal that didn't flush?"
I'd thrown up and forgotten to flush.
I almost laughed, despite everything. The filthy animal was me.
A flush. The hiss of a brush. The thing was actually cleaning the toilet.
The cart moved. It stopped at the second stall.
"I'm comin' in, 'kay?"
Slam!
Every time it said the line, it got closer, and every word came through clearer than the last, until I'm comin' in, 'kaaay? didn't sound like a question anymore. It sounded like a countdown.
And it was closing on the last stall faster than the short-haired girl's math had promised us.
The short-haired girl slid down the wall, boneless with fear.
Emmy kept licking her ice cream.
There was a soft thump from the stall beside ours. I looked down and a single bloodshot eye was staring back at me through the gap, wide with terror.
I jerked back before I understood - it was another shopper, hiding, who'd ducked into the next-to-last stall behind us. They were crying. They mouthed at me, silent: Help me. Please.
I am not a heartless person. But what was I supposed to do? Help how?
The noise of the fall had done it. The cart sped up - creak-creak-creak - straight to that stall.
"I'm comin' in, 'kay?"
The voice was right outside their door. And the person inside snapped. They started screaming - not in fear now, but in something uglier:
"There's people in the last stall! Lots of them! Go get them, not me! Go get them!"
My heart nearly stopped. They were trying to point it at us.
Slam! The door went in.
A scream - and then a wet thud, and a wide sheet of blood came spreading under the divider toward our feet. A few seconds of thrashing.
I knew this was it. Live or die, right now.
I hit the latch and ran, dragging Emmy with me. I didn't look back - I didn't want to know what it was. There was only the door, and the thought: if we get outside, we're safe.
The short-haired girl came right behind us, breath sawing in and out.
Emmy and I made it through the restroom door and out into the concourse.
The girl didn't.
Something caught her in the doorway. She screamed and grabbed the frame, clawing at it, half out and half in. She had opened her stall for us - she'd given us those seconds - and I couldn't leave her. I grabbed her arms and pulled with everything I had.
Emmy saw me struggling and came to help.
My daughter is the size of a backpack. She should not be able to pull like that. She is not that strong.
She is now.
The girl stretched out between us and whatever had her, pulled taut as a rope.
And then, in front of my eyes, with the girl's mouth still open in a scream -
she came apart at the middle.
The restroom door swung shut. Slam!
I was soaked in her, head to chest. I stood there hollowed out, staring at the piece of her still in my daughter's hands.
And then I was crying, and I couldn't stop.
"Mommy? Why are you crying?"
Emmy looked up at me, honestly puzzled, a chunk of a stranger in one hand and a blood-smeared cone in the other.
I dropped to my knees and broke, and it wasn't only the horror. It was the other thing. The thing I couldn't say.
Is she still my daughter?
I'm scared of my own little girl.
Emmy crept closer. Gently, and with one small finger, she wiped a tear off my cheek.
And then she did something the thing wearing her could never have done.
She started to sing.
It was off-key and half under her breath, and it took me a second to place it, but when I did, I stopped breathing. It was the song. Our song - the one I used to sing to her when she was two and sick and couldn't sleep, the one about the little boat that always finds its way back to shore. I made it up. Nobody else in the world knows it. Not her father. Not a babysitter. Nobody.
Just me, and just her, in the dark, a hundred small hours I'd half-forgotten I ever gave her.
"Little boat, little boat, don't you cry," she sang, patting my cheek in time, the way I used to pat her back. "Mama's watching from the sky..."
And for one whole breath she wasn't a puzzle or a threat or a thing in a stranger's dress.
She was Emmy. She was my Emmy, my real one, wiping her mother's tears and singing her mother back to calm, because she'd seen me hurting and she wanted to fix it, the way I'd fixed a hundred nights for her.
I grabbed her and held her so hard she squeaked. And I thought: she's in there. Whatever else is riding along, my girl is still in there. It broke something open in me, and it also gave me the only thing I had left to fight with. Hope.
Then she pulled back and looked at the piece of the short-haired girl still in her other fist, and turned it over, curious, the way you'd turn over a shell you found on the beach.
"Mommy," she said, in that same sweet voice, "do you think she thought I was pretty?"
The cold came back down over her like a shade drawn on a window. And the singing was still ringing in my ears, and that was so much worse than if she'd never sung at all.
I shook, and I had no idea what to do with my own hands.
Inside the restroom, creak... creak... the cart started moving again - toward the door, toward us.
The clock ran out on me being weak. I made Emmy drop what she was holding, took her hand, and pulled us into the thickest part of the crowd.
The mall had changed.
The blind panic was gone. Now everyone was flowing toward the central atrium, gathering, pressing in around the stage where they do the holiday tree and the Santa photos. I worked us closer.
On the stage, a row of people in red knelt in a line, hands bound behind them.
"Sir - what's going on?" I asked a balding man in his forties beside me, keeping my voice low.
He was glad to explain. "It's the ones in red doing all the killing. They've been taken over - demons, ghosts, whatever you want to call it. Wearing people. We've gotta stick together and protect ourselves. We wipe them all out."
Wipe them out.
I went cold. "And the people on the stage - what's going to happen to -"
His jaw set. "Demons burn."
I looked down at my daughter. At her red dress.
And I felt a brand-new kind of danger come over me - not from the ghosts this time.
From the people.
I stepped in front of Emmy, put my body between her and the crowd - and that's when I saw him again, up near the front of the mob, gold chain catching the stage lights.
Vince.
He wasn't just watching this time. He was working the crowd, clapping men on the shoulder, pointing at the kneeling figures in red, his voice carrying over the others.
"That's right. No exceptions. Anybody in red, they're already gone. You leave one, it takes your kid in the night." The girl was still tucked under his arm, nodding along, and the skinny kid trailed behind them looking sick.
Vince had found his rule. Not the mall's - his own.
His eyes swept the mob and started, slowly, to come around toward us. Toward Emmy.
I started walking us out, fast and quiet.
The balding man frowned at my back. Then something clicked behind his eyes, and he pointed, and he bellowed.
"Red! We got one in red!"
I scooped Emmy up and ran. We were gone before the crowd could turn, swallowed back into the building.
But I heard Vince's voice rise behind us, delighted, feeding on it. "There! You heard the man! Somebody had a kid in red - a kid, you know what that means? They're hiding one on purpose!"
He'd seen us. He knew. And now he had a crowd.
I grabbed a black coat from a clerk in blue, and dived into a dark corner to hide.
The hunt went on without us. From a dark corner, with Emmy pressed against me, I watched them drag out a young couple. The boyfriend was in a red sport coat. They put a hood over his head, and the second they did, he went limp and docile as a scarecrow, dead weight in their hands. His girlfriend fought like hell.
"Please - please, he's harmless, he wouldn't hurt anybody, I swear -"
Nobody listened. They shoved him toward the stage.
"Honey, that's a demon. Don't let it fool you."
"All of 'em in red are demons. No exceptions." I knew that refrain. I'd heard Vince plant it in them like a seed.
"Burn him."
"Burn him -"
The voices folded together into one tide, and anyone who tried to say something different got swept under and went silent.
A few minutes later, the stage went up in flames, and a thick, greasy, charred-meat smell rolled out across the whole atrium and into everything.
Turns out people don't smell that different from anything else on a grill.
I held my daughter in the dark and I didn't move for a long time.
I want to tell you I was planning. Working the problem, the way I had been all afternoon - reading the rules, staying two steps ahead, being the capable one. I wasn't. For those few minutes I couldn't do anything at all except watch the fire and shake.
Because I kept thinking: that could be us. One shout, one pointed finger, one man like Vince deciding out loud what everybody was already half-thinking, and it's my daughter under that hood, going limp and quiet, and it's me screaming that she's harmless, that she wouldn't hurt anybody, at a wall of faces that have decided they know better.
And the sick, shameful truth curled up underneath even that: some part of me had looked at the couple being dragged to the stage and felt relief. Better them than us. I hated that thought the second I had it, but I couldn't unthink it. The crowd had found what they'd trade to live.
Emmy shifted against my chest. Her small heart was going quick and steady under my hand, and I held onto it like the last warm thing in the world, and I let myself cry, quietly, until the shaking stopped. I gave myself that. I decided I was allowed that much.
The cruelty and the lunacy of it. I made myself look at the ones leading the chant. They had eyes like raw meat - bloodshot, flooded red - same as everyone who'd eaten a twist.
They'd gone cold and sharp and good at turning a crowd.
But the part that truly chilled me was the followers. They couldn't see the red in their leaders' eyes. They couldn't see the horror right in front of them. Some of them were cheering.
Like burning a person in red was a mission they were finally completing. Like it made them good.
"Mommy," Emmy whispered. "Are you gonna leave me?"
It was the first time since she'd come back in red that she'd sounded afraid. And it landed right on top of the song, on top of little boat, little boat - the second time in an hour my real daughter had surfaced from beneath whatever was wearing her. I was starting to understand that she came and went. That my Emmy was in there, drowning and surfacing, drowning and surfacing, and I would never know from one minute to the next which one I was holding.
I pulled the black coat tight around her - black, the way the rules said; the dark jacket I'd zipped over her red dress - and I held her against me.
"Never," I said. "Not ever."
The PA crackled back to life.
But it was a different voice now. Flatter. Colder.
"Attention, shoppers. It's dinnertime. Please make your way to the food court on the fifth floor. We've prepared a fresh selection - barbecue ribs, pulled pork, brisket, big bowls of meat chili - everything you could want.
"Please note: between five and six, every area outside the fifth floor will be sanitized, top to bottom. Please get to the fifth floor promptly.
"Please note: do not attempt to avoid dinner. The sanitizing is exactly what it sounds like. We will not be missing any corners."
The meat smell was everywhere. My stomach - long since emptied out - clenched at the words. Ribs. Pulled pork. Brisket.
What were they made of? How fresh, exactly?
I didn't want to know.
And the announcement was wrong in a way the first one hadn't been. The first voice had felt like it was trying, in its sideways way, to keep us alive - handing us rules, warning us off the dangerous stuff.
This one was an order. It wasn't warning us toward the fifth floor. It was herding us there, and it had told us plainly what happened to anyone who didn't go. Sanitized. Wiped out, like roaches.
Whatever that meant, I wanted no part of it. The two voices weren't the same. The two voices didn't want the same things.
I would not be trusting this one.
I folded Emmy back into the crowd and let it carry us up to the fifth floor; I moved us through it fast, because I already knew the shape of the trap, and I didn't need to watch it spring on a dozen more people to believe it.
Right at the top of the escalator, an enormous vat simmered - red and white and yellow churned together, thick and glistening - and the fuel stacked under it wasn't wood. It was a crosshatch of long, pale lengths, interlaced. Fingers. Hands. Arms, woven together under the pot. The crowd closed in on it, delighted, helping themselves, and as they swallowed, the whites of their eyes bloomed red. A stall clerk with flooded eyes called out cheerfully that they had chitlins, organ stew. Every counter, every smiling face, every steaming tray was the same single machine with the same single purpose.
So, I didn't play. I got us to a vending machine, fed six dollars in quarters into it, and pulled out two granola bars and two bottles of water. Real food. Cold, dumb, sealed-in-plastic food that nobody's hands had touched.
Emmy was deeply unimpressed, gnawing her granola bar with a thundercloud face.
I stroked her hair. "We'll have something small now. The second we get home, I'll order you the biggest pizza they make. The huge one. Deal?"
That bought her back.
I noticed others doing the same - a few people standing at the edges of the food court, quietly eating granola bars and crackers from the machines. One of them caught my eye, and held it a second. We understood each other.
So, not everybody was gone. Scattered through the crowd were people who'd heard the first announcement and followed it. People still thinking with their own heads.
I checked my watch. Almost six.
I worked us toward the exit, and two red-eyed employees stepped in front of us.
"You folks didn't find anything you liked?"
"We already ate," I said, keeping my voice level. "Can we go?"
"You should really eat something. The food court closes at six."
They weren't budging, and I wasn't about to try forcing past them. So, I went back to that stall and ordered two servings of the organ stew to go. When I carried them past the employees this time, they let us through.
The first announcement had been deadly serious, and exactly right.
You must sample one dish. If you find it unacceptable, do not waste it. After six PM, you may give it to a guest who has not yet eaten. A guest who has not yet eaten may not refuse.
A guest who hadn't eaten - that meant one of us. One of the ones who hadn't taken the bait.
Which meant the rule was telling us to feed it to each other.
I didn't take us far. I ducked us into the emergency stairwell near the exit and pulled the door shut.
A couple of minutes later, three people came in with takeout containers of their own. I didn't want to be near them. I drew Emmy down half a flight, into the shadows under the landing.
And then I heard him, and my blood went to ice, because I already knew the voice.
"Will you shut your mouth, you little -" The big voice rose. "Keep it up and I'll cram all of it down your throat myself."
Vince.
Of course it was Vince. He'd worked the burning crowd and then, when the killing was done, he'd peeled off with his girl and her little brother with their dinner, and here he was, in my stairwell, with two full containers and two people who hadn't eaten yet.
I looked up through the gap in the stairs. On the landing above, Vince had the skinny kid by the collar, fist cocked.
A pale hand settled on his arm, and the girl's voice came, all silk and syrup: "Vinnie, don't. Babe. He's harmless. Why are you wasting your energy on him?"
Vince grinned and let the kid go, then slid the same arm around the girl's waist and kissed the side of her face. "I'm just messing with him. He's your brother, I'd never hurt him. Tell you what. In a few minutes we'll go find some people who haven't eaten yet, and we'll get this dinner into 'em. Don't you worry. I'll take care of you and your brother both."
Find some people who haven't eaten yet. He'd been hunting us since the atrium. He'd told a whole crowd I was hiding a kid in red. And now here we were, half a flight below him, exactly what he was looking for.
I sank down with Emmy in the dark under the landing. Hiding game again, baby, I mouthed. She put her finger to her lips before I could - she remembered - and something in me cracked and held at the same time. I held my daughter and didn't move a muscle.
If they found us, they were going to force the contents of those three takeout containers down both our throats.
The minute hand hit twelve on my watch. Six o'clock exactly.
The PA came on again.
"Honored guests, the final event of the evening is about to begin, and you're all warmly invited to take part.
"The Maplewood Mall Last One Standing - Spot the Difference!
"Find the guests who are different from you.
"Please note: these individuals are skilled at hiding, blending in, and lying. Please listen closely for guidance.
"Game time is six to seven. The winners may leave the mall with their prizes.
"On your mark... and begin."
"It started!" the boy yelped and bolted for the stairs.
My heart seized - if he came down, he'd see us in one glance.
"Where do you think you're going, dummy?" Vince grabbed him and threw him into the corner. "Running around screaming, that's how you get caught. We think. We make a plan."
"You're so smart, babe. We'd be dead without you. Tell us what to do." The girl again, oozing flattery, going soft and small and obedient. Even I felt the pull of that voice, and it wasn't even aimed at me.
Vince puffed up. "Game's called Spot the Difference, right? So, the 'difference' is us - the ones who still got our heads on straight. We just don't let the red-eyes out there find us. Seven o'clock hits, we walk out the front doors and go home."
"But - how do we not get found?"
"Hide-and-seek, genius. You never played hide-and-seek? We tuck ourselves away somewhere good and we -"
The PA cut him off.
"Third floor - women's fitting rooms.
"Fourth floor - kids' department, behind the counter.
"Fifth floor - the emergency stairwell.
"..."
"You gotta be kidding me - it calls out the spots? That's cheating!"
Vince was rattled now. They were standing in the fifth-floor stairwell.
So was I.
In a second, they'd move - up or down - and I needed to be gone before they did. I started to ease Emmy down the next flight.
And from below us came creak... creak...
I went rigid. The cart. The cleaning lady from the restroom.
Of all the moments.
Given the choice between that thing and the people upstairs, I'll take the people. We turned and ran up - straight into the three of them.
They hadn't expected anyone below. For a second nobody moved. Then Vince looked at me - a woman alone with a little kid - and I watched the recognition land, and then the grin.
"Well, look who it is," he said softly. "The smart lady. The one hiding the kid in red." He said it to the girl without looking away from me. "Told you. Told you they were tucked away somewhere."
Ghosts are terrible. But the human heart, sometimes, runs them close.
He was already doing the math on how to get his dinner into me and my daughter. He'd been doing that math since the fitting room, hours ago. I'd watched it start. Now I was going to find out the answer.
I got there first. "There's something down there. We have to move, now."
The creak... creak... reached their ears too.
Vince planted himself in front of us, leaned over the rail. "Who's down there?"
A woman's voice floated up, singsong and sweet. "Never seen the cleaning lady before?
What are you hollering about?"
That voice. It went through me like ice water. I could still feel the blood that had come pouring under the stall divider. I could still see the short-haired girl come apart at the waist.
"It's real," I said, letting every bit of fear I had into it.
I looked straight at the skinny kid in the corner, and I twisted the knife. "It's a thing that rips people in half in one second. I saw it." God help me. I'd learned from Vince, hadn't I? You find the frightened one and you point him at the danger, and you let panic do your work for you.
It worked. He screamed, shoved past Vince, and tore up the stairs like the building was on fire.
I grabbed Emmy and went up after him - and like falling dominoes, the kid's sister ran too, right behind us.
Vince couldn't stop any of it. He nearly came apart with rage. "It's an old lady! What are you all running from?"
"Vinnie, I'm scared! Go see who it is - we'll wait for you up top!" the girl called over her shoulder, and he stayed put, while the three of us climbed.
We spilled out of the stairwell onto the main floor, and I finally got a breath.
Below us, Vince was still grumbling. "Bunch of cowards. It's a granny. It's not even red-eyed -"
His scream came a few seconds later.
I looked back down through the gap. A gray-white hand was swinging a severed arm around, painting red across the walls. From the thickness of it, that arm was Vince's.
I pulled Emmy on, and we didn't stop until we were back inside the mall proper, where I could finally let my legs slow down. The kid and his sister came with us, and the four of us slumped against the wall, gasping.
The boy was still wild-eyed. "She won't - she won't follow us out, will she?"
I shook my head. "I don't think so. The cleaning lady only comes into bathrooms and stairwells."
The words were barely out of my mouth when the stairwell door banged open.
We jumped back. Vince came rolling out, clutching his shoulder. One arm gone at the joint. Blood pumping out of him in waves. His eyes were blown wide and empty, and he was babbling.
"Monster. There's a monster. There's a monster in there -"
I was honestly amazed he'd gotten out alive. All afternoon he'd been the thing I was most afraid of, more than the cones or the clerks or the cart - the man who'd hunt us for sport and hand our bodies to his girlfriend as a favor. And here he was, a leaking, sobbing ruin, less than the granny he'd sneered at.
Then I saw Emmy push the door open a crack and stick her head in to look.
I lunged for her - and she turned, smiling, delighted. "Mommy, it's a party in there! There's a bunch of red-eyes and monsters all fighting."
I leaned in.
She was right. Down the stairwell, shapes were thrashing in the dark, a mess of noise and motion and blood going everywhere. The PA had called this floor out as a hunting ground. The red-eyes had come up the stairs to find us - and walked straight into the cleaning lady.
"Sis, let's go," the boy begged, pulling at the pretty girl's hand.
"Hang on," she said.
She didn't run. Instead, she crouched, took her container of food and her brother's, and set them both down in front of Vince where he lay bleeding on the floor.
"After six," she said sweetly, "you can give your food to someone who hasn't eaten. And they're not allowed to refuse."
Vince was dying, white as paper from the blood loss. He stared up at the two of them, furious, helpless. The girl who'd hung on his arm all afternoon, who'd called him smart, who'd told him they'd be dead without him. She'd been reading the rules too. She'd just been reading him the whole time as well.
"You can't... you can't do this to me..."
I walked over.
And I set my container and Emmy's down in front of him too.
It was exactly what it looked like. Kicking a man when he was down.
I could tell you he'd have done worse to us. That he was minutes from cramming his dinner down my daughter's throat. All of that is true. But I want to be honest about the other part, the part this place kept teaching me all afternoon and wouldn't let me stop learning: it felt good.
Setting that container down in front of him felt good. And that is the thing I'll be carrying long after the blood washes off.
The girl and her brother went left. Emmy and I went right.
Behind us, I heard chewing.
I looked back once. Vince was face down on the floor, eating like something starving - like the thing in the fitting room, like the woman at the vat. The containers were torn open, sauce and meat smeared everywhere, and he had his cheek pressed to the tile, gulping it down in great heaving mouthfuls.
His eyes were already going red.
"Sixth floor - Kids' World play area -"
The PA kept calling. With the cleaning lady loose in the stairwell, the red-eyes had to take the elevators up.
I stood there with Emmy, out of ideas. Every other floor had been called. Soon every red-eye in the building would be on six. There were a lot of them, and only two of us. Wherever we hid, we'd be found.
I didn't know what to do.
"Mommy, let's ride the pirate ship!"
Emmy was pulling at me, pointing at the kids' rides across the way - a little carousel, a few coin-op cars, and the big swinging pirate-ship ride at the center.
"Emmy. Mommy will take you another time, okay?"
Wrong moment. We could not be playing right now.
I started to pull her along, and she planted her feet and pulled back, hard.
"But you always say that!"
Her voice cracked - hurt, let down, near tears. The look she gave me went straight through my chest.
And she was right. I have said it a thousand times.
I'm busy with work. I'm busy with a call. I have a thing tonight. Next weekend, baby. Soon, baby. The grown-up world is full of reasons, full of things you have to do, and it always feels like if you drop even one of them the whole thing comes down on your head.
But does it, really?
I let myself believe that all of it - the late nights, the missed weekends, the next time, baby - was for her. That I worked that hard, so she'd never want for anything. That every hour I gave away was love.
It was an excuse. All of it.
And here - God, here, of all places - was the third time today my little girl had surfaced whole through the red. First the song. Then are you gonna leave me. And now this. Not a puzzle. Not a threat. Just my kid, wanting her mom to ride a ride with her, the same way she'd wanted it a hundred times when I said soon, baby, and meant never.
The elevators were running. The floor numbers were climbing fast.
They were coming. We were out of room.
"Mommy, please. Let's go on the pirate ship."
She came in close and took my hand and looked up at me, and the light of wanting in her eyes was so bright it burned.
It really had been such a long time. So long since I'd just taken my daughter somewhere to play.
The elevator doors opened. Red-eyes spilled out, heads swiveling, looking for us.
I grabbed her hand, and I ran - toward the pirate ship.
The control booth was empty. I set the timer, started the cycle, and pulled Emmy on board with me.
Behind us, the red-eyes were roaring - like Vince had been, more animal than person now, every last bit of the human gone out of them.
We climbed into the ship just as the machine kicked on. I put Emmy in the very front seat, the highest one, the one that swings out the farthest - the most thrilling seat on the ride. The one she always begged for.
The red-eyes swarmed in and surrounded the ship. They tried to climb on, but the ride was already moving, swinging up and out, and the force of it threw them back every time they got close.
They stood below us, red eyes locked on, screaming loud enough to split my skull.
I put my hands over Emmy's ears and smiled down at her.
She was smiling back, thrilled, her hair flying, the air rushing up at us as the ship dropped and rose and dropped.
Somewhere far off I heard screaming - the boy and his sister, the silk voice gone ragged. They hadn't made it after all.
The screams set the red-eyes off again. Whatever was holding them back broke, and they came up onto the ride all at once.
Around us, the pirate ship turned into a slaughter - the great swinging arc of it sweeping back and forth, and where it passed, blood and pieces flew.
Inside the ship, my daughter and I sat curled together. Warm. Happy.
Outside, the world came apart, limbs and ruin, like the floor of hell.
We rode up, and we rode down, and I held her, and she laughed. And I laughed too - I actually did, some cracked, broken sound halfway to sobbing - because I was finally, finally doing the one thing she'd wanted, and it had taken the end of the world to make me stop and do it.
I don't know how long it was before I heard a voice.
"Ma'am? Hey - ma'am, are you okay?"
I opened my eyes. A man in a Maplewood Mall employee polo was leaning over me, frowning, concerned.
The ride had stopped.
I went rigid. I looked down.
Emmy was looking up at me, worried. "Mommy? What's wrong? Are you sick?"
She was in her pink track suit. The strawberry on the chest. The red dress was gone, like it had never existed.
I looked around, heart slamming.
No blood. No limbs. No bodies. The food court hummed. People streamed past in both directions, ordinary, bored, alive. Somewhere a toddler was shriek-laughing about something. Strollers. Shopping bags. A guy on his phone.
I felt the floor tilt under me.
Had any of it happened at all? Had I - what, passed out? Dreamed the whole thing standing in line?
I sat there in the pirate ship with my hands still shaking and I tried to make it fit. A dream. A fainting spell in the heat. That's all it was. People faint in malls. The AC was probably fine, and I'd stood too long in a line and my brain had spun me a horror out of nothing.
But my jeans were clean. That was the thing I couldn't get past. In the dream, the short-haired girl had come apart across my chest and Emmy had splashed a dead man's blood up my legs, and I looked down and there was nothing, not a spot, and instead of relief it just opened a hole in me. Because a dream that vivid shouldn't leave you feeling like you'd lost something.
And I had. I couldn't name it and I couldn't shake it. Somewhere in all that horror I'd finally sat down and held my daughter and done the one thing she was always asking for, and now the ride had stopped and the world had put itself back together and handed her to me clean and safe and pink - and some animal part of me was grieving, like a door had just shut on the only afternoon I'd ever really given her.
"Mommy, does something hurt?" Emmy hugged my arm, all sweetness, her little face turned up to mine.
"Mommy's fine," I said. My voice didn't sound like mine. "Let's go home, okay?"
I lifted her down off the pirate ship, and I held onto her a beat longer than I needed to, both feet on the ground, both of us whole. I didn't slow down after that. Straight to the elevator. Down to the parking garage under the mall.
I got us in the car. Emmy climbed into her booster in the back. I sat there for a second, hands on the wheel, just breathing, and I reached up and adjusted the rearview mirror so I could see her.
She sat quietly in the back seat, looking out the window, humming something under her breath.
I almost didn't catch it. And then I did.
Little boat, little boat, don't you cry.
The song. Our song. The one I made up in the dark when she was two, the one nobody else in the world knows - the one she'd sung to me on a bloody bathroom floor in a dream I never had.
She'd been humming it in the checkout line, too. Before the three seconds. Before any of it. I just hadn't been listening.
I went very still.
And in the white of her eye, in the mirror, a thread of red slowly surfaced - and slowly sank back down.
She kept humming, watching the concrete pillars slide past, my sweet girl, my real one, drowning and surfacing, drowning and surfacing, and I would never again know from one minute to the next which one I was holding.
"Hey, Emmy," I said, when I could trust my voice. "How about we get you that pizza? The big one. The biggest one they've got. And you know what? This weekend - no work, no phone, I mean it - you pick anywhere you want to go, and we'll go. Just us. Okay?"
I heard her gasp with delight, that pure little-kid sound, and clap her hands.
I started the car.
We were going home.
Whatever I was taking home with me, I was taking her too. And I was done saying soon, baby.
from FICTION on the WEB short stories https://ift.tt/hfYVnE5
via IFTTT

Comments
Post a Comment