A Snow Day

Our 12-year-old granddaughter, Jayne, texted me every hour or so during the six-hour drive from south Georgia to our house in Virginia a few days after Christmas.

A Snow Day Fb

“Hey Nana, can you put some snow in the freezer? That way, we can feel Virginia snow when we get there.” she wrote. “Yes, I will, I said, but there is still some snow on the ground.” I sent her some photos of about an inch or so still lingering in our yard.

I was hoping it would be there when they got here because they had not seen snow before, and I wanted so much for them to build a snowman.

The weather forecast called for sunshine and temperatures in the 50s, and I felt a little embarrassed, asking God to keep it cloudy and cold until they got here.

When they arrived, they could hardly take the time to hug us before dropping to their knees and putting their hands in the snow. The wonder on their faces as they held it in their hands was priceless, and I whispered, Thank you.

Girl Making snow angels

“Nana, it feels cold and icy, but amazing.”

As soon as the car was unloaded, they wanted to build a snowman.

We had just enough to create a small one in the back yard, and you would have thought they were opening their favorite presents on Christmas morning!

It was magical for them, and we stayed outside until their hands were wet and cold.

The next day they discovered more snow still on the ground in the front yard and didn’t hesitate to use their new skill of building another, much bigger snowman, but decided to put one of my hats on it and call it a snowgirl.

They both laid on the front lawn and waved their hands up and down, making two snow angels.

Watching them was heartwarming, reminding me how the smaller things in our lives make people happy,

Watching them reminded me of the last year we spent in South Texas. Early one December morning, my husband slipped outside, grabbed a handful of snow, and placed it on my cheek to wake me up.

I jumped up and looked, and, sure enough, the ground was white with snow. We had lived there for 12 years, and it had hardly ever got below 50 degrees.

I grabbed the phone and called our neighbors, who had never seen snow, and said, “Look outside! It snowed last night.”

They laughed and told me to open the front door, and when I did, there were little snowmen up and down the street and people throwing snowballs at each other.

My neighbor told me they had been up most of the night celebrating the magical white snowflakes.
D109c461 C73b 407a B560 19d0858a426d
This weekend when the snow was coming down, I felt the same wonder I do every time I see snow.

It covered the ground, made objects in our yard look like magical creatures, and highlighted the beauty of the bare tree limbs.

I filled my lungs with the cold, wet air and thanked God for the little things in life that make us happy.

The post A Snow Day appeared first on Morning Coffee Beans.



from Morning Coffee Beans https://ift.tt/3i1JHAt
via IFTTT

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Trout and the Lonely Woman by Stephen Myer

A Cup of Conscience by James Lyon

The Billboard by Hannah Ratner