Overcoming fear

There are a lot of spooky things going on in our world right now. I mean, other than ghosts and goblins appearing out of nowhere on Halloween to scare us. We might be startled when someone plays a trick on us or jumps out to scare us, but it will go away after all the trick or treat bags have been opened, and we put away the scary costumes.
Overcoming Fear Lb
I did my Halloween prank accidentally this week when I walked into one of our small local businesses. There weren’t many people in the store, and there was no one behind the counter. I needed a particular item and couldn’t find it, so I walked back toward the checkout for some help.

I heard someone coming out of the office and stepped around the corner and said, “Hey!” She had just taken a drink of the coke she had in her hand, and when she saw me, she stopped dead in her tracks and almost spewed the drink out of her mouth.

It took her a few moments to collect herself. She stood still, swallowed her drink, took a breath, and said, “You scared me to death!” I replied, “I’m sorry; I was looking for something and needed some help.”

We both laughed, and she directed me to what I was looking for, but I felt bad for startling her, and I’m sure she was relieved I wasn’t a burglar.

Halloween is supposed to be a scary day filled with pranks, candy, and fun, but I think we could sum up our entire year of 2020 as Halloween without the candy and fun.

For many, the Coronavirus has been the boogie man that has filled our world with so much fear. The looters and violent protestors have added to that by destroying towns and hurting people, and a frantic media, along with angry politicians, are making an election year frightening.

And on top of all that, October has been Breast Cancer and Domestic Violence awareness month.

This year, an estimated 276,480 women in the United States will be diagnosed with invasive breast cancer, and 48,530 women will be diagnosed with non-invasive (in situ) breast cancer. An estimated 2,620 men in the United States will also be diagnosed with invasive breast cancer.

Domestic violence is devastating. More than 1 in 3 women and 1 in 4 men across the United states have experienced domestic violence from an intimate partner.

Fear is the bully that pushes us around and makes us feel helpless. But we don’t have to feel helpless. Just as the store manager handled her surprising encounter with a customer, we can stand still, take a breath and deal with it.

Three of the most powerful tools we have to overcome fear are faith, information, and choosing to use that information.

The prayer that comes to me when I feel overwhelmed is the Serenity Prayer.

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,

The courage to change things I can,

And the wisdom to know the difference.

Serenity means being calm and peaceful when there is trouble all around us. Courage is a choice we make, regardless of the consequences, and wisdom comes from getting the facts before we make that choice.

If we are fighting breast cancer we need to work with our doctor to make the right choice about treatment, and if we are unsure of what we need to do we get a second opinion. Schedule your mammograms.

If we are trying to escape domestic abuse we must ask for help. There is a help-line you can call at 1.800.799.SAFE (7233).

If we are concerned about our country and the people who are making decisions for our lives as citizens, we must vote on or before November 3rd.

And when we have done all that we can with the information we have then we must stand strong and courageous, and trust God with our lives.

The post Overcoming fear appeared first on Morning Coffee Beans.



from Morning Coffee Beans https://ift.tt/3edCQlw
via IFTTT

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Trout and the Lonely Woman by Stephen Myer

A Cup of Conscience by James Lyon

The Billboard by Hannah Ratner